Friday, August 2, 2013

Landscape Photography Continued and Reading Histograms

Searching online for a few more tips on taking better landscape shots, I came across this website which gives really useful tips:  http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/07/20/the-only-landscape-photography-tutorial-you-will-ever-need/

I'm not 100 % sure how to read a histogram yet, but found this link on the same website: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/18/how-to-read-a-histogram-photography-cheat-sheet/.  It made it a bit easier to understand.

On the page mentioned above they say that one should always check the histogram after taking a picture in order to adjust it if necessary.  This made me realize that I am usually in too much of a hurry to stop and look at it first.  Instead I usually just look at the picture on the LCD screen, which is so small anyway that you cannot really say whether it is 100 % correctly exposed.  I will really have to slow down and check the histogram before aiming for the next shot.  Occasionally I did gave the histogram a quick glance but didn't understand how it works so I never paid much attention to it.  

After reading the page mentioned above about reading a histogram I realized it is more important to understanding in order to take better photos than I had initially thought, so I have done some more research on the subject.  I came across this webpage which explains it further:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

My Nikon D50 does have the ability to show the histogram directly on the LCD screen after a photo has been taken.  Where I have found this a bit annoying in the past if the histogram pops up automatically, I now see it as a very useful tool and will definitely be changing the camera setting back so this.  This will save time from having to select the option to view the histogram every time and I will immediately be able to look and see if the exposure was done correctly.


No comments: