Thursday, May 16, 2013

Where did it all start?

At our wedding in 2001 my brother used a point-and-shoot film camera to take photos for us as at the time we could not afford employing a professional photographer.  A friend's neighbour worked at a photolab and developed the pictures for us.  She never studied photography, but took the most beautiful pictures after hours and earned an additional income with it.  She loved doing it and offered to teach me how to take good quality photos.  At the time I couldn't take up her offer as we moved away, but ever since then I became very interested in this field.

In 2004 we moved to the UK where during our stay I had done a correspondence photography course for beginners with a local college.  As time went by my interest grew and I started dreaming about having my own studio and following a career as a professional photographer.  It is a way that I can be creative and actually have fun and enjoy what I'm doing.

I've been reading books, looking at other photographers' work and purchased a good SLR camera (Nikon f75) which I used for the course in the UK.  A couple of months afterwards I've opted for the Nikon D50 which I've been using since.  My dream camera at the moment is the Nikon D700, but will have to save for a while before I can get it!

So in the meantime I have enrolled for another correspondence course.  Although I'm not residing in the UK anymore, the college is UK based.  I looked around at various courses available through different colleges, but in the end picked a correspondence course again.  This is because I'm working full time and I have two beautiful babies (3yrs and 10months) at home so my time is very limited.  There is no time limit in completing the course, but I am motivating myself to do it sooner rather than later as there is no point in wasting more time.  In all honesty I don't know when I will be able to fit studying in, but I am going to try anyway.  I will never know if I am able to do it if I don't try, I guess.

Why haven't I started earlier?  Because I was scared of not being able to succeed.  Thoughts like 'what if I'm not good at it or don't get it right' often pops into my head.  I keep reminding myself that practice makes perfect and try to think positively about this new challenge in my life and I'm sure in the end it will all work out well.  If it doesn't work out, then at least I've tried.

I'm hoping that this would inspire other Moms with very busy schedules to follow their dreams and not looking back on their lives one day with regret for not trying.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have bought a studio kit.  One thing I've learned is that if you look around and don't just go to the well known companies you can actually find good prices on equipment, courses, etc.  Just do some research and it will be worth your while.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new course!

Marianna Pieterse's Stories said...

Thank you. On Friday I have read through a part of the first module, followed by a slight panic attack wondering what I was thinking to enroll! I am feeling better now and ready to do this!