Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Manual Focus vs Auto Focus

I personally very seldom make use of my camera's manual focus setting, simply because I find it terribly time-consuming to get it to focus perfectly.  In the past when trying using the Manual Focus setting I used to get so frustrated when I couldn't get it to focus, that instead of keeping on trying, I just switched over to Auto Focus anyway.

On the other hand there were those situations where the camera simply refused to focus when set on Auto Focus.  This usually happens where the lighting is a bit tricky or when the subject is moving.  Usually when the camera would not focus when set to Auto Focus, I simply gave up on the shot and snapped something else.

Until recently I never even considered just switching over to Manual Focus to try and take the picture.  About two weeks ago I started focusing more on Manual Mode, setting the aperture, shutter speed and ISO manually and realized that very often I get more desired results than when using the Auto settings.  I must admit, at the best of times, I still prefer using Auto Focus though, however, I firmly believe there are times that you simply cannot get the same result using Auto Focus as you would when using Manual Focus.

I came across this webpage when doing some research online on the subject:  http://digital-photography-school.com/5-situations-when-manual-focus-is-better-than-auto-focus

No comments: