Thursday, March 13, 2014

Single-Servo (AF-S) vs Continuous-Servo (AF-C)

On a visit to Hermanus on the Southern Coast in the Western Cape I have taken a couple of pictures of our daughters on a jungle-gym's swings.  Unfortunately, to my frustration, most were completely out of focus.  Of course I only realized this when going through the pictures when we got home.

I have realized two things that I needed to do:
  1. Always have a quick look through the pictures on the viewfinder (especially if you are on location and cannot go back to re-do it).
  2. Make sure the Autofocus on my Nikon is set correctly.
Since I haven't had a chance to do the 2nd part of the tutorial on the Nikon D7000 yet, I had a look on Nikon's website and came across this link with more information on the AF-S vs AF-C modes:  http://imaging.nikon.com/history/basics/16/03.htm.

This really clarified to me what the difference between the two settings are and which one is best to use under which circumstances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for the link. It really makes sense what they are showing and also using a user friendly way of doing so! Now I also know what that all that is about on you camera.