Friday, November 8, 2013

Course update, Lenses and Even Exposure

I've finally done it!  I've overcome my fear and downloaded the first Module's two tests and passed both!  I'm so happy that I finally had enough guts to go ahead and do it, now I can move on to the next module without being so nervous about the tests again.  May I just add that I got 100 % for both!!  After all the panic before downloading the tests I'm sure a little bragging is in order...

In previous posts I've mentioned how I would like to purchase some Prime lenses, but then came to the conclusion that it would probably be more cost effective to first replace the camera body with something a bit more 'up-to-date' like the Nikon D7000.  I considered the Nikon D5200, but was advised by a supplier of used equipment that they use the same type of lenses as the Nikon D50 and is limited to the G-type lenses with 10 electric contacts where the variety of lenses that can be used with the D7000 is greater.  So instead of purchasing Prime lenses now and then invest in a better camera body I will try to be patient and do things the right way around.  Also, I don't want to spend too much on equipment before I have completed this course.  For the time being I still love taking pictures with the Nikon D50.

Lately things have been quite hectic so I haven't had as much opportunity to go out and take pictures as I would have liked to.  There were a few opportunities to take pictures of interiors of properties and some family pictures at least.

I was (and probably still am) getting a bit confused about setting the camera to the correct exposure manually.  Little did I realize that if I look through the viewfinder, there is a little meter reading indicating whether it is an even exposure or  not!  Until now I've been guessing what I think it should be and then see whether the results were as I have hoped.  I've noticed it before, but didn't know how it worked.  I always thought you only use it when you want to deliberately over-/under-expose a picture.  Now I know better.  I've come across a very helpful article:  http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/perfect-exposure-every-time-a-guide-to-metering-in-the-viewfinder--photo-3158.  After reading the comments from other readers I realize that more research is needed to make sure I completely understand how to use the meter even in harsh conditions, but at least for now, it help me a great deal to begin to understand the metering system.

No comments: